Instead of going for a well-written review, I'm going to just go through the list of things that frustrated me while playing Motorstorm.
1. The handling model sucks.
2. The rubberbanding AI...this is what bad programmers use to make up for poor artificial intelligence. That means if you drive great, the AI will get speed boosts, if you drive poorly, they'll slow down. You know that feeling when you pull a perfect lap and there is no one remotely close behind you? Yeah, not happening here because the rubberbanding happening.
3. The physics are atrocious. Slow speed bumps send you flying. An AI motorcycle pushing your big rig out of the way. These are two of the most egregious in a long list of examples.
4. The graphics are just...so brown. The game looks good in screenshots. But in motion, the motion blur and just...brown...make seeing things a bit hard. More so when EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN THE LEAD YOU GET RANDOM MUD OBSCURING YOUR VIEW...and I do mean 75% of the screen caked with a mud effect. Did no one play test this and have the nerve to say "umm, guys, this bit sucks, we should ditch it"?
5. The track design is uninspired at best and bad at worst. Seriously, there aren't any "this needs to be in the sequel" tracks. They all are kinda poorly designed and not fun.
6. The LACK of tracks. Single digit amount of tracks included. Wouldn't be as much of an issue if the included tracks were all classics, but they're not so the lack of tracks is just amplified, though to be fair, this is possibly a positive, since more tracks that also suck is likely the outcome so maybe this really isn't a negative.
There are really more negatives but honestly, I've already spent way more words than this game deserves.
I wanted to love Motorstorm. I regretted not picking it up when it was released and I kept on at it thinking "I should really snag this game". Now, I wish I'd have just skipped it as I was completely disappointed. It's one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had and I don't understand how this gets positive reviews. Avoid it at all costs.
Reviewed by: Raven from Williamson, WV on 12/17/2021